Boren, David L.
1. "The Intelligence Community: How Crucial?" Foreign Affairs 71, no. 3 (Summer 1992): 52-62.
2. "New World, New CIA." New York Times, 17 Jun. 1990, E21.
3. "Rethinking US Intelligence." Defense Intelligence Journal 1, no. 1 (Spring 1992): 17-29.
4. And David McCurdy. "Comments on Intelligence Reorganization." American Intelligence Journal, 13, no. 1 & 2 (Winter-Spring 1992): 6-7.
Clark, J. Ransom. "New Boxes for Old Tools? Considerations on Reorganizing U.S. Intelligence." The Ohio Journal of Economics and Politics 8, no. 1 (Fall 1993): 1-10.
This article surveys some of the implications of the Boren and McCurdy bills to reorganize the U.S. intelligence community. Click HERE for text of the article.
Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report. Editors. "Cheney Spurns Legislation to Revamp Intelligence." 28 Mar. 1992, 817.
Defense Secretary Cheney rejected the Boren and McCurdy reorganization bills as "so seriously flawed that selective amendments would not make either of them acceptable."
1. "Chairmen Boren, McCurdy Urge Leaner, Revamped Operations." Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report, 8 Feb. 1992, 316- 317.
Senate and House intelligence committee heads introduce intelligence reorganization bills.
2. "Plans Aimed at More Efficiency May Cut Quality, Panel Told." Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report, 22 Feb. 1992, 416.
James R. Schlesinger and Lt. Gen. William E. Odom testify to Senate intelligence committee on reorganization legislation.
Snider, L. Britt.
1. "A (Largely) Overlooked Accomplishment: Assessing the 1992 Intelligence Reorganization Legislation." National Security Law Report 15, no. 5 (May 1993): 1, 3.
2. "The New (and Largely Unappreciated) Legal Framework for U.S. Intelligence." American Intelligence Journal 14, no. 3 (Autumn-Winter 1993-1994): 77-80.
Snider argues the importance of the language in Title VII of the Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1993 (P.L. 102-496), signed by President Bush on 24 Oct. 1992.
Steele, Robert David. "The National Security Act of 1992." American Intelligence Journal (Winter-Spring 1992): 31-39.
Taylor, Andrew. "Hearings Yield No Clear Path on the Road to Change." Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report, 7 Mar. 1992, 550.
As the House intelligence committee began hearings on reorganization plans, "[f]ormer intelligence officials urged caution and sought time for the administration to implement its restructuring plan."
U.S. Congress. House. To Reorganize the United States Intelligence Community, and for other purposes. 102d Cong., 2d Sess., H.R. 4165.
U.S. Congress. Senate. To amend the National Security Act of 1947 to reorganize the United States Intelligence Community to provide for the improved management and execution of United States intelligence activities, and for other purposes. 102d Cong., 2d Sess., S. 2198.
Return to Reform 1990s Table of Contents